ERA Alabama Closure
The temporary COVID-19 ERA Alabama Program enacted by Congress is approaching its end. Launched in March of 2021, ERA Alabama has assisted over 39,000 renter households and provided over $173.4 million in assistance. Based on present commitments for assistance and pending applications, we project that funding will be exhausted early next year. Please continue to check our website, www.eraalabama.com for the most up-to-date information. All policy and timelines are dependent on funding availability.
The following are important dates the changes that will be implemented to the ERA Alabama Program:
- Effective December 15, 2022, ERA Alabama will no longer accept any new applications or new additional funds requests. ERA Alabama will process eligible and complete applications based on the following order of priority:
- ERA Alabama applications supported by court ordered eviction filings with representation by Legal Services Alabama (or other legal counsel) via the ERA Alabama Imminent Eviction Prevention Initiative.
- All pending and complete applications submitted via the AHFA Bulk Streamlined Process.
- All tenant applications evidenced by an ERA Alabama participating landlord.
- All pending additional funds requests (AFRs)
- Tenant -pay only applications with verified participation or acknowledgement from the tenant’s respective landlord.
- All remaining applications will be processed subject to time constraints and available funding without guarantee.
Other Emergency Rental Jurisdictions:
The following Treasury-designated emergency jurisdictions in Alabama are separately administered and not affiliated with ERA Alabama: Baldwin County, Jefferson County, Madison County, Mobile County, Montgomery County, Tuscaloosa County, the City of Birmingham, and the City of Huntsville. For questions regarding the status of these programs, please contact the designated program administrators.